I think like any tool Wiki's have pros and cons. One of the benefits to using a wiki are that groups can collaborate and share documents easily. It saves on e-mail traffic and is a one stop location for all the documents/notes for a specific project. Another benefit is that students can access the wiki from any location. This could be especially useful for a commuter campus where it may difficult for students to meet together outside of class.
Some of the problems with Wikis are that since it is a relatively new idea, many students don't have experience using them. It can be frustrating and confusing to learn new technology so if there are time constraints this could prove to be extremely stressful for students. Another problem is that Wikis can be very biased. It would be difficult as a group to create a wiki without any bias.
38 perforated shelf edge labels
3 years ago
I definitely agree with the benefits you pointed out such as location and not having a ton of e-mails. With the collaborative working, do you think there is added pressure because although it's collaborative, everyone works on it individually? I think doing a Wiki project would give me anxiety because I would be nervous to change any work that someone else did.
ReplyDeleteBailey, I think that's a valid point - without the face to face interaction it's hard to know if you're offending someone by changing their work.
ReplyDelete