Monday, March 15, 2010

Network Based Communication - Week 9

In the article "Negotiation in Cyberspace" by Jill Pelletieri the idea of using Network Based Communication (NBC) is explored. She suggests using a chat function on the computer is similar to oral communication and that this may be a way for students to develop as second language speakers.

One potential problem I see with this idea is that it might be a difficult classroom activity to conduct without proper instructor supervision/guidance. Without a specific task it may be easy for students to communicate using skills they already are comfortable with. One way to work around this would be for teachers to give students a specific task or topic to discuss. This will force new/unfamiliar vocabulary and will give them direction for their conversation. Another option would be to require students to print out their conversation at the end of the class and the teacher could review it as a means of accountability.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that instructors need to be present to watch over the interactions, because you don't want students learning incorrectly. Another option could be to connect students with native speakers who can monitor their interactions when the teacher cannot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deena, I like your idea of connecting students with native speakers. This would be a great way for students to get authentic input.

    Jessina, thanks for your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin,
    I agree that students would need to be given a specific task. The task would need to be challenging enough for students that they have to negotiate meaning through chatting, but not so hard that they cannot focus on using language. I like the idea of printing out the chat sessions. The transcripts would be a great way to further focus on form after the chatting activity.

    ReplyDelete