I have never personally worked using computer mediated feedback but found Savignon and Chiu brought up some good points. One specific area I found interesting was the form vs content based feedback. After reading this I realized how true it was within my own writing as a second language learner. Most of the time the feedback I received was form based and when fixing the draft that is all I would focus on. As a teacher it might be difficult at first to focus on content rather then form but in the long run it looks like it would be the most beneficial for both the students and the teahcer.
The only concern I have about computer mediated feedback is that I am not as comfortable reading on the computer over long periods of time. I would much rather read printed materials. This is something that would just take time to get used to and after reading this article I can better understand the reasons behind using computer mediated feedback.
38 perforated shelf edge labels
3 years ago
Erin, good points. Also, I think you are not the only one who has issues reading for extended periods of time off a computer screen. Many students and teachers wind up printing everything out for reading purposes and then typing comments on the computer afterward as a way to deal with this....which some could argue defeats some of the purpose of computer mediated feedback (at the very least it does not save any trees)
ReplyDeleteI also generally print out materials instead of reading them on the computer. I prefer having a pen in hand and editing on hard copies. I do think that online feedback is a good option if a face-to-face meeting (or paper hand-off) isn't possible.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comments! I think my biggest problem is just that I'm just not as comfortable reading on the computer as I am reaing off a paper copy. Over time if I forced myself to use the computer I could get used to it.
ReplyDeleteI agree that some students may feel more comfortable than others to use the computer for reading and revising feedback. Probably, teachers could conduct a quick survey and collect information regarding the preferences of their students on this issue.
ReplyDeleteMaria - good call. A survey at the beginning of the course could provide the teacher with some essential information about their students.
ReplyDelete