Tuesday, January 12, 2010

CALL Experience - Blog Post 1 (week 1)

The only experience I've had with CALL is a couple sessions using Rosetta Stone. The most difficult part for me was not having face to face interaction. I like being able to watch someone when they pronounce new vocab words and it was difficult for me to only listen and not see a person when the vocab was pronounced. What are other problems learners encounter when a language is learned solely online?

In the other language courses I've taken I've never had any experiences with CALL. I'm interested to see how learners react to the different types of technology.

4 comments:

  1. I think another issue that may arise from learning solely through a computer screen, is not being able to practice conversation skills, which help second language learners greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. other problems? another problem might be not having someone to consult--at all or in a timely fashion--if there's a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think there can be technical problems like microphones not working. There are also issues of access... not just where/when you can access a computer, but *who* can access it. For instance, is it fair to use computers extensively for people in a foreign country who don't own computers and can't afford to buy one or even use internet cafes regularly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deena - I wonder if you could use something like Skype to connect people in the class and have them practice their conversation skills. The one downfall I can see here though is there is no way for on the spot corrections.

    Bill - I'm not sure the best way to work around this issue of use in foreign countries. I guess if you sign up for an online class you need to have access to a computer. However, this does limit who can take these classes.

    ReplyDelete